October 10th 2020 is the 18th World Day for the Abolition of the Death Penalty worldwide. This year will be dedicated to the right to effective legal representation for individuals who may face a death sentence.
Without access to effective legal representation during arrest, detention, trial and post-trial, due process cannot be guaranteed.In a capital case, the consequences that can arise from a lack of effective legal representation can be nothing less than the difference between life and death.
On the national and international levels, the right to legal representation is enshrined in most constitutions and human rights instruments. Unfortunately, justice systems around the world repeatedly violate this right and fail to give those charged with a crime adequate legal representation.
10 Things YOU can do to end the death penalty
- Get in touch with your member of parliament
- Organize or attend a demonstration to educate persons on death penalty abolition
- Share artwork and stories of individuals directly affected by the death penalty
- Donate to GCL to further the work of abolitionists in the Caribbean
- Follow the social media campaign #nodeathpenalty
- Join events and spark conversation around ending the death penalty globally
- Subscribe to the GCL Newsletter to educate yourself about the death penalty
- Become a member of GCL and help push the abolitionist effort forward
- Mobilize media awareness on local radio talk shows
- Participate in the GCL Speaking Tour the week of October 10th 2020